I thought it would be fun to kick off this blog with a few chair transformations.
I. This pair of chairs had nice frames, which is why I bought them, but the fabric was a mottled pink paisley and they looked like someone had spilled bleach on them. The cushions unzipped so I dyed them red so the color would at least be uniform.
It was an improvement, but they still needed help. I decided they were the perfect candidates for reupholstering with a nubby green vintage fabric I had purchased a few months back at an estate sale.
The green really complements the lighter Danish frames nicely. Next time I'll take a better photo. (Sold)
II. The next project is a classic Eames-style chair and ottoman that was covered in cheap purple velvet when I acquired it. (I'm guessing this is a vintage version by Plycraft.)
Once I started ripping the fabric off, I could see that there was nice leather underneath but that all of the buttons were missing. I took the chair to locally owned Durobilt and they put some new buttons on for me.
Once I'd oiled the wood and cleaned the chrome, the chair looked presentable again. ($375)
III. The last piece is a Milo Baughman (one of my favorite designers) swivel/tilt tub chair on a walnut base. When I bought it it was dirty, had a cigarette burn on the back, and the fabric was really dated looking.
Again I used a vintage fabric I had been saving for the perfect project and had Durobilt work their magic.
The result is a very refined and comfortable chair that would work great in a smaller space due to its more modest scale. ($750)